In case you missed it, the TV series Yellowstone has been showcasing Montana in a big way (you can read more about that here). Plus, the series is filmed here in Montana’s Bitterroot Valley with the Chief Joseph Ranch – located between Darby and Hamilton – serving as the home for the Dutton family (aka Kevin Costner and his brood).
If you’re not familiar with the Bitterroot Valley, it’s 96 miles long and includes charming small towns, local restaurants, the Sapphire and Bitterroot mountains and the Bitterroot River. It also includes plenty of places to lay your head at Yellowstone-inspired lodging properties that will have you feeling like you’re inside the TV series.
To make it easier to plan your Yellowstone-loving getaway, we’ve rounded up a list of 5 Yellowstone-inspired accommodations in Montana’s Bitterroot Valley.
1. Chief Joseph Ranch. As the location where Yellowstone is filmed, Chief Joseph Ranch is also open to guests. The property is open year-round and has two cabins onsite that are available for rental. However, it’s important to note that the ranch is still used for filming Yellowstone so availability is intermittent and varies. If you don’t hear back right away, it’s likely because the ranch is being used to film a very intriguing scene for the upcoming season of Yellowstone. www.chiefjosephranch.net; 406-821-0894
2. Triple Creek Ranch. A Relais & Châteaux property that’s just down the road from the town of Darby, Triple Creek Ranch is the most luxury ranch resort stay in the region. And we’ll tell you: this place is magic. Known for refined rustic elegance, Triple Creek is open year-round and is an all-inclusive property, with accommodations that include one-bedroom, two-bedroom and three-bedroom cabins, as well as luxury ranch homes. Plus, their onsite activities and gourmet culinary program are just added bonuses to their elegant cozy cabins. www.triplecreekranch.com; 800-654-2943
3. Alpine Meadows Ranch. Located two miles from Darby, Alpine Meadows Ranch was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and sits on 208 gorgeous acres. The property has three types of lodging available – the writer’s cabin (by FLW), the farmhouse (by FLW) and suites – with each offering travelers a distinct stay in the valley. www.amrmontana.com
4. Rye Creek Lodge. Open year-round, Rye Creek Lodge is 4 miles south of Darby (and 65 miles south of Missoula). Made up of luxury handcrafted log homes, the lodge’s five cabins have jaw-dropping views of nearby Trapper Peak. Plus, each cabin has full kitchens with four of the cabins having private hot tubs. www.ryecreeklodge.com; 888-821-3366
5. Alta Ranch. Sitting deep in the heart of the Bitterroot Valley, Alta Ranch is one of those places that looks like it was plucked out of a movie. Open all year, the ranch has six beautiful log cabins located on 350 acres, with each cabin steps away from the West Fork of the Bitterroot River. Each cabin features a wood-burning stove in the living room, as well as full kitchens and private campfire sites. www.alta-ranch.com; 888-349-2142